December 9, 2015

Mercy

Last Sunday, I finally saw the Sisters of Mercy live (the original October date was pushed forward to December due to an “outbreak of illness in the band and crew”). I had seen them before and knew what to expect. Nonetheless, hope dies last.

I don’t know if it was a band or a venue issue, but I can safely say that the music I play at my house sounds clearer and probably louder. Now, setlist–wise, they were way too many “Vision Thing” tracks in it, if you ask me, (which is not exactly their best work) and somehow they managed to make the rest of the songs sound like they were off “Vision Thing”, too (even the cover tracks). “Alice” was a good moment (made my bones move quite a bit) and probably “Dominion/Mother Russia”, as well. Eldritch was in a great form vocally and the band well-rehearsed (cough cough).

The crowd seemed tired and not in the least excited. I felt bad for the band but I guess that's what happens when you play speed-up, cut versions of your own songs; not to mention in the lowest possible volume.

The moment it felt like something was about to happen (although it never did):


Note: Mani Deum, the (Greek) opening act, were great. But, six and a half hours of homework prior to the gig, made me a tad anxious to just get over with everything else and skip to the Sisters instead. I promise to pay more attention next time.

Photo Source
Video source

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh, Sisters!<3 Pity, that the sound was not as good... Mani Deum sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love them, I can't just overlook certain things.
      Mani Deum are great! Both as a recording and a live band (sometimes those two are worlds apart)!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm usually so ticked at all the idiots spilling their drinks all over me, or talking through the entire thing, or the band playing all the crap off their newest and probably worst album (oops, showing my age) that I wish I'd stayed home and spent the $200 concert fee on CD's instead. But I have a very low tolerance for big events like that. What a crotchety old thing I am, eh? ;)

      Delete
    2. I don't think it's an age thing. I feel the same.
      Stadium shows are the worst.

      Delete
  3. I am very jealous! I would love to see them! Still the poor sound quality or whatever it was that made it not sound so good is a real shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will, someday:-)
      I love your new profile pic, have I mentioned before?

      Delete