November 12, 2015

The Horror Game

It’s been quite a while since my last horror movie related post, because:

(A) I have watched too many horror movies to mention
(B) I have watched too many horror movies to mention; and they were all shite
(C) Things have changed dramatically around here, time-wise
(D) All of the above

Dark was the night (2015): Dark Was The Night is loosely based on the “Devil's Footprints”, a phenomenon that occurred in 1855 in Devon, England (it had to be Devon), when after a heavy snowfall, trails of hoof-like marks appeared overnight in the snow, covering a total distance up to 100 miles. It easily made it to my top 10 horror movies of 2015 (so far). Good scene pacing, strong character focus. If only I could un-see the monster’s face (the Sandworm is back - Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!).

Hellmouth (2014): A tormented and lost in a world where reality and fantasy meddle grave-keeper, enters the Gates of Hell to save the soul of a beautiful woman. Aw. Shot almost entirely on green screen (a nod to 50’s films of that genre, or so the critics have mentioned), Hellmouth is an interesting take on a common theme. Stephen McHattie was an excellent choice for the lead role.

Extinction (2015): Nine years after yet another zombie apocalypse, Patrick, Jack and Lu are playing house somewhere in Antarctica (or so one would think), forgotten by both God and monsters, only to discover that the plague-ridden creatures have adapted to the environment change (everything has frozen up, hence the Antarctica reference), and are back for those remaining. I think I liked the cinematography and set design more than the story but, I always focus on beauty (even in zombie films).

From The Dark (2015): A young couple drives through the Irish countryside when suddenly their car breaks down in the middle of nowhere (shocker), seconds before a creature older than evil itself, awakes deep within the gloomy swamp (bet you also saw that coming). Light is their only weapon against this hellish being, but also something they are short of. Little dialogue, decent acting; I always enjoy that. I read a dozen bad reviews for this and I ignored every single one of them.

Time to head back to my cave, now; too many table lamps to re-arrange.

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, these sound to scary for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love horror movies so I need to watch every of these :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost track of how many horror movies I have wathced since summer. They can be quite addictive- as long there is a decent story somewhere in between the Old House and Murder Death Kill formula (with a slight preference to the old house theme).

      Delete