October 20, 2015

Aposynthesis

On my way home the other day, I (literally) stumbled into a leather bound vintage edition of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, left to disintegrate under the overflowing dumpster. My first reaction was to reach for the book, but thankfully the odor of all things decomposing around, stopped me from actually picking it up. I really wanted to save it, but since a bath in chlorine for starters, followed by an attack with all detergents and bug poisons man ever made was out of the question, (sidewalk and flea market finds need to be sanitized before entering the front door), I let it perish by the unidentified debris (either a dead rat or an exceedingly filthy sock).

Personal archive. FLASH Magazine, photographs by Nikos Economopoulos (Magnum).
I never take a camera with me when I go out. Isn’t that strange?

One of my favourite bands of all time, Suede, released a new single a couple of weeks ago (a new album is set to follow in January), and it’s been playing on repeat ever since. I hope the rest of the album is as good as “Outsiders”. It made me feel 14 again.

18 comments:

  1. I can see how that might be upsetting, I hate seeing old books being thrown out or cut up! Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song is great, I also like Suede! And the story with the book is really sad... so much stupid people on earth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? Love Oakes' guitars on it.
      I think the image of that book covered in garbage juices will haunt me forever:-/

      Delete
  3. I hate to see books being destroyed or neglected.
    Such a shame :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. When I am tired of something I don't trash it, I give it away. I wish they had been more thoughtful.

      Delete
  4. I think I would have been dumpster diving for sure! Filth doesn't phase me. Like the band - they sound like a cross between Joy Division and the Cure. I just really dated myself there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You would have dived in vain, though - the book was beyond saving, soaked in all sort of fluids:-S
      Suede have been around since 1989; but they are basically a 90's britpop band (and my personal favourite - alongside Pulp).

      Delete
  5. I've only once saved an old book in that condition before. It had very melancholy pictures and I was going to use it to make altered art pieces with. But I never have because even though it did dry out, I can't stand to touch it. And yet I still have it. Weird, hey? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird at all. I once saved a botanical dictionary from a skip, but managed to kill it anyway when the boiler (next to my book/record room) randomly exploded. A nightmare came true on that day.

      Delete
  6. I never heard about Suede, amazing song and music video!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was the one to introduce them to you! They are a great band:-)

      Delete
  7. Hello my dear friend.
    'Outsiders' is absolutely fantastic!! I love this song:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! :-)
      January is going to be a great month for Suede and Bowie lovers! Or at least that’s what I’ve been telling myself.

      Delete