July 15, 2015

Mask II

A new take on an old theme (part II). I was searching for the link of the first post but apparently I have deleted it. So, here is the story behind the framed photo (text copied from the original post):

I found this post-card at the Acropolis Museum Shop (I wasn’t allowed to photograph the actual sculpture so I got a post-card of it instead). It is a section of a human face carved in marble. It was dedicated as an oblation to the Sanctuary of Asklepios, after the successful healing of the eyes (2nd half of the 4th century BC). To my eyes, it looks like a death mask. And, yes, I can safely say that I am obsessed with it.

Original Photo: Elias Cosindas

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, moody images, although the marble face is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was love at first sight for me. One of the most beautiful things I had ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creepy mask, but in the best possible way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The inlaid eyes make it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the thoughtful expression of the mask!

    ReplyDelete