April 13, 2015

Thrills and Chills


The Innocents (1961): Based on Henry James’ “The Turn of the Screw” (1898), the story follows an inexperienced governess who arrives at a desolate mansion to take care of the wealthy household's two children, only to soon discover that the house is haunted by ghosts (sic) and the two children are possessed by wicked spirits. Gorgeous cinematography and music (strange electronic, haunting sounds), and on top of that, Deborah Kerr. It is considered as one of the best psychological thrillers of all time, for a reason.

Housebound (2014): Kylie is sentenced to house arrest and forced to move back to the family house (already sounds horrific enough) where mom, convinced that the house is haunted, pushes her daughter to doubt her own sanity. Funny and sinister at the same time. Very entertaining with several twists and turns on the way. I loved the ending;-)

What We Do In The Shadows (2014): Mockumentary on the life of a vampire household. I think I enjoyed more the first half of the movie. It was slightly funnier; with Peter (my favourite of the vamp gang) effortlessly stealing every scene he was in. The introduction to the vamp familiars was hilarious. Next time somebody calls you in Viago’s voice asking for sugar, it’s going to be me.

Nightcrawler (2014): “What if I were to say that it's not that I don't understand people, but that I don't like them?” I’d believe you. Lou is desperate for work and, inspired by a freelance film crew he sees working the scene of a car crash, he soon dives into nightcrawling (crime journalism). To get better footage (and more money for it), he starts to modify crime scenes and soon crosses the line between observer and participant in his violent recordings. Well-acted, well-shot; finally a realistic approach on how things work. The bad guy does get away with it – thank you for that ending.

8 comments:

  1. I really want to see "what we do in the shadows".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love The Innocents, but haven't seen any of the others yet. I hope you're having a wonderful week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Innocents is a great movie, yes.
    Try Housebound; both scary and funny:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing What We Do in the Shadows. I don't think I've ever seen The Innocents. I actually had Turn of the Screw in my Amazon shopping cart the other day but then decided I couldn't really afford more books right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As funny as What We Do In The Shadows was, I only enjoyed the first half.

    The Innocents is such a wonderful movie. Google it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved nightcrawler and housebound - will definitely watch "what we do in the shadows" :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both Nightcrawler and Housebound were brilliant films! As for What We Do In The Shadows, I feel like it went from surreal to silly in no time.

    ReplyDelete