November 24, 2013

All Thirteen

SPOILERS!
Six months of waiting and 50 years of dreaming. Yes, the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who aired last night and it was far from what we all expected.

I have to admit that I enjoyed more the BBC docudrama “An Adventure in Space and Time” on Friday. David Bradley as the First Doctor was heart-breaking and Mark Gatiss captured the essence of both William Hartnell and Time Lord shockingly well (excuse my surprise).

The “I don’t want to go” line, used on both “Adventure” and “Day”, made me want to smash something – David, David...

Back to the “Day”, now, I knew the moment I saw the scarf round UNIT scientist Osgood’s neck that you-know-who-Who was going to make an entrance (ah, my first Doctor and highlight of my weekends as a child).

Peter Capaldi also made his first appearance as the 12th Doctor (13th, in this one) with a close-up of his eyes (and that voice) during the battle to save Gallifrey. I think I am going to like him. Really like him.

And, of course, there was the final scene where I felt like a child again – my heart was pounding so fast!

WHO knows, believe you me.

Someone’s (and something’s) missing, no?

Overall, I liked it although it did start awfully slow and the story was weak. The scenes between the three Doctors (8 ½, 10 and 11) were really fun to watch and Hurt opposite the madmen brought balance to the episode. I also liked Piper and Tennant on the same shot again (Rose wasn’t exactly my favourite companion but the chemistry between her and 10 was great). My favourite scenes were the Battle scene (was that debris or a spaceship in the end?) and the Baker scene, thank you very much. Oh I also loved the fact that they used the original opening sequence (“scary, you say?”) and all of the Doctors.

To be fair and square, there was also the “Night of the Doctor”, a mini Who (brilliant) episode broadcasted a few days prior to the “Day” where Paul McGann wore his green velvet coat again and made us beg for a web mini-series starring the 8th in boots and everything. It worked as a link to the next regeneration, the 8 ½ Hurt Doctor, to whom we were introduced on the final episode of the previous season.

Well-written and acted, the mini episode was set during the Time War and it opened the door to all sorts of speculation (mainly mine) of what the “Day” was going to be about. Not the first time I was wrong about things.

50 years of Doctor Who
1. William Hartnell (1963 - 1966)
2. Patrick Troughton (1966 - 1969)
3. Jon Pertwee ( 1970 - 1974)
4. Tom Baker (1974 - 1981)
5. Peter Davison (1981 - 1984)
6. Colin Baker (1984 – 1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987 – 1989)
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005 – 2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010 – present)
• John Hurt, the Warrior Doctor
• Peter Capaldi , the 12th Doctor (can hardly wait!)

6 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen Dr. Who. And that now I'm so far behind (like 50 years worth) if I try to catch up, it might take me the rest of my life, and that's if I live to a very ripe old age!

    If a person were to start watching somewhere besides back at the very beginning, is there a point that you'd recommend starting at without missing too much? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have never EVER watched anything related to the Doctor, be warned: The Doctor is an alien time traveler from Gallifrey who travels through time and space in the TARDIS, battling evil alongside his ever-changing companions.

    “Doctor Who” was (and still is) a show for kids (too surreal and mad for grown-ups, I guess). I recommend you read this http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctorwho/information-about-doctor-who/ before diving into the abyss of “Who”.

    Then, I think you should watch the BBC docudrama I mentioned in my post (“An Adventure in Space and Time”), to link the present to the past (40 years of the series).

    Then, watch the new Doctor Who series (2005) which already counts 7 seasons (15 – 25 episodes each). Anything less than that would be confusing.

    Whovian: the epitome of awesome
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those who started early remain forever haunted...

    ReplyDelete