September 4, 2013

The Rain In Spain

I saw Painless (Insensibles) last night and I thought it would be fun to dedicate a post to Spanish horror / fantasy movies I‘ve actually enjoyed (for one reason or another) over the years. I am not going to write about the plot of each movie, just my thoughts and reviews of sorts.

And since I mentioned Painless, I have to say that I did enjoy the cinematography and each member of the cast was an excellent choice but the story was too weak and slow. It hardly scratched the surface. And I also hated all the “Pan’s Labyrinth” references. Give me a break.


The Devil’s Backbone (El Espinazo del Diablo): not the average ghost story. “What is a ghost? A moment of pain, perhaps”. Dig up your history books for this one. The film is set during the Spanish Civil War and uses the children's lives allegorically.


The Orphanage (El Orfanato): pleasing (dare I say orgasmic) to the eye (Paula de la Fuente, the set designer, can move in with me anytime), and the story actually made sense. I could watch it every day. But I don’t. Belen Rueda gave a strong, lifelike performance as the tragic mother.


Pan’s Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno): absolutely beautiful cinematography and music. I wish they would focus more on Ofelia’s world instead of the facist’s world but oh well. You can’t have it all. Actuality overshadows imagination, anyway. By the way, I hated Sergi López’s character so much that I didn’t notice it was him playing the nazi – huge compliment there, Sergi.


Sleep Tight (Mientras Duermes): The Resident minus Christopher Lee. Sleep Tight had a better ending, though. Evil doesn’t just fade away. It hovers.


The Uninvited Guest (El Habitanto Incierto): paranoia is my one of my favourite subjects in books, films etc; and scarier than any actual monster. There are several unexpected twists in this one. Great story. Outstanding performance by Andoni Garcia.

Julia’s Eyes (Los ojos de Julia): the most predictable movie since The Sixth Sense (seriously). But I did like the cast and I wouldn’t mind watching it again if it was on TV or something.


The Skin I Live In (La Piel Que Habito): revenge is sweet. I am not keen on watching Antonio Banderas movies but I really liked him in this one. I found his performance honest and realistic.

Rec: The Blair Witch Project spawned the “found footage” genre and oh boy do they keep coming. Few are the ones that qualify for good movies (regardless field) with Rec being probably the best of them all. You guessed it; I really liked it :-D

These two look strange side by side, don’t they? Perdóneme, Pedro.

6 comments:

  1. The Orphanage , Pan’s Labyrinth , The Resident , Rec ( εκτος απο αυτο ) ταινιες που ειδα απο αυτες που προτεινεις και αγαπησα! Δυσκολα βλεπεις πλεον καλες ταινιες και μιας και απογοητευομαι ευκολα, κραταω επιφυλαξεις οταν ξεκιναω μια ταινια! Αλλα θα βρω χρονο να δω αυτες που προτεινεις!! Ειδα προσφατα 2 αποτυχια ταινιες θα γραψω και σε ποστ. Παντως να κανεις και αλλα τετοια ποστ αν δεν βαριεσαι με ταινιες! Τα φιλια μου να περνας τελειααα <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Δεν σου άρεσε το Rec;; Μα, γιατιιί;; :-D Η αλήθεια είναι ότι ετοιμάζω καναδυό reviews ακόμα. Μήπως να το καθιερώσω μια φορά το μήνα να γράφω μόνο για ταινίες; Φιλιά κι από εμένα xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mporw na pw oti ektos apo to Rec, Pan's Labyrinth kai to The Orphanage den ehw dei kananena allo. (Takes notes) Mporw na pw omws oti oi english versions twn tainiwn synithws einai disappointing. Misw otan pernoun mia yperoxi 3eni tainia kai tin katastrefoun etsi, opws to Let the right one in, the Ring klp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Συμφωνώ, με χειρότερο "remake" το The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - άσχετο αλλά κάπου πρέπει να πω κι εγώ τον πόνο μου ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ax symfwnw apolita!!! Oloi eixan trelathei kai prospathousa na tous pw oti einai remake kai kai kai oti einai poli pio kalo to allo T__T
    I antidrasi itan "ma den milane agglika" oooh for f's sake :(

    ReplyDelete